As we approach the Fall, I wanted to share about one of my favorite essential oil blends you should consider getting to have on hand for the colds, coughs and sinus issues that back to school and a new allergy season bring.
The name “RC” stands for respiratory congestion – it’s energetic aroma will help open up your sinuses when you are feeling stuffy. Apply it to your chest with some coconut oil as a natural version of Vicks VapoRub. Or diffuse it in your bedroom. Many of my mom friends swear by this stuff – diffusing it constantly at home when the kids get sniffly.
It is a blend of oils and includes each of the individual oils below, creating a powerful combination:
- 3 kinds of Eucalyptus oil – globulus, radiata & citriodora – eucalyptus plants have the highest levels of something called cineole which has been proven in medical studies to help reduce inflammation and act as an expectorant (source)
- Myrtle – ancient Greek & Italian physicians used this leaf oil as an ingredient in children’s cough syrup
- Marjoram – calming and relaxing to our sinuses
- Pine leaf – a refreshing oil used for respiratory support
- Lavender – read all about the benefits of lavender oil here
- Cypress – acts as an anti-spasmodic to calm that throat tickle that keeps you coughing, and studies have found that active ingredient camphene limits bacteria growth (source)
- Black spruce – Native Americans chewed the balsam and bark of this plant to help with respiratory ailments
- Peppermint – read all about the benefits of peppermint oil here
When I feel congested, I also like to use a similar blend called Breathe Again that is pre-mixed with coconut oil and comes in an easy, ready to roll on bottle.
If you have any questions about how to use essential oils, how to buy them or are curious to try them out but not sure where to start, feel free to contact me by commenting below or start here.