Oh, stress. If you’re anything like me, just thinking about or trying to stop being stressed makes me stressed! For years, I was under constant high-stress and even though I thought I was handling it well emotionally (well, for a while anyway), I had no idea the effect it was having on my body.
Our body’s natural reaction to stress is designed to help us out in a tough situation. It causes a release of hormones and increases our heart rate to get more oxygen to the brain so we can function better. That immediate response is beneficial, but when stress becomes constant or chronic, the effects turn negative. Here are just a few of the symptoms caused by constant stress:
- High blood sugar
- Social withdrawal
- Weight gain
- Decreased appetite
- Acid reflux
- Back and/or neck pain
- Low libido
- Frequent illness (decreased immune function)
If you are under chronic stress, let me just say first – you must evaluate your life for stressors and remove as many as possible (job, friendship, time commitments, diet, exercise). I know, that’s seems obvious, but seriously make a list now and do it. It took me far too long to make changes and my body and relationships suffered. Okay, now that you’ve done that… of course, you’ll still have stress in your life at times. I’ve got a great recommendation for how to help with that – Stress Away essential oil.
I know you’re thinking “an essential oil? really?” Hear me out…
It sounds crazy, but there’s actually science behind it. Our nose is different than any other sense in that smells pass through the emotional part of our brain first, while the other senses go straight to the rational part of the brain. It is well documented within science that smells can recall emotions better than a touch or words or pictures. And we know it… the smell of baking cookies inexplicably reminds us of grandma or a cologne or perfume scent reminds us of a certain person. The aromas of essential oils can touch our emotions in ways that cannot reach them by any other means – hence the whole practice of aromatherapy.
Stress Away has become my very favorite blend of essential oils. It brings peace and tranquility, taking the stress of the day away. When I’m not able to control my cortisol response and my heart is racing, this helps like nothing else ever has.
A “blend” means that it contains several different individual plant oils in one bottle:
- Copaiba – helps soothe, can provide pain relief
- Lime – stimulates a tired mind and renews your spirit
- Cedarwood – clears the mind, stabilizing and grounding
- Vanilla – who doesn’t love that wonderful, sweet fragrance!?
- Ocotea – creates a peaceful environment
- Lavender – calming, improves concentration
I use Stress Away all the time… here are 10 different ways you can try it too:
- When you feel overwhelmed and need instant relief, smell it straight from the bottle.
- Mix 5 drops with 2 cups epsom salts and add to your bath to relax after a tough day.
- For a calming perfume that will last for hours, add a drop directly to your wrists, neck or temples.
- To create a peaceful environment at home, add it to your diffuser. I love adding with another citrus oil for freshening the air (see my favorite diffuser combinations here).
- When you’re driving in traffic (or with kids maybe?), put a couple drops on a cotton ball and put that in your air vent to fill the car with a refreshing aroma.
- Add to a travel diffuser in your office at work to relieve the stress of the day.
- Have a stressed pet during travel, storms or fireworks? Dilute with coconut oil and apply to the front paw. It won’t hurt if they lick it!
- If you have a headache, rub on the back of your neck and temples for some relief. Not only is it calming, but the copaiba also has pain relieving effects.
- Clench or grind your teeth at night? Try a drop on your jaw joints to reduce tension.
- At bedtime, add lavender, stress away and cedarwood to your diffuser to promote both relaxation and the natural release of melatonin to help you fall and stay asleep.
If you are interested in learning more about essential oils or how to purchase, visit this page or you write a comment with your email address and I can reach out to you directly!