Hallelujah! He is Risen! If you are looking for an easy breakfast for the family this Easter weekend, here’s a new idea. I absolutely love carrot cake, but now that I am gluten & egg free, it is harder to enjoy these days. I’m satisfying this seasonal craving during breakfast, getting a serving of vegetables in with a bowl of carrot cake oatmeal that is gluten, dairy, egg and refined-sugar free!
- 3 cups of coconut or almond milk (can also use water)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups of steel cut oats (regular oats will not work!)
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- 1 cup shredded organic carrots (I used 4 medium carrots)
- 1/2 cup shredded apples (or frozen pineapple as a variation)
- 1/2 cup pecan or walnut halves
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (or honey, coconut sugar or brown sugar)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or butter
- Optional: 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- To prepare the apples and carrots, peel and then use a food processor with shredding disc.
- Add all ingredients into a glass pyrex bowl that fits inside your slow cooker and stir well to combine.
- Place the glass bowl into the slow cooker and then add water into your slow cooker (around, not in the glass bowl) to fill up to a little over halfway around the bowl.
- Turn slow cooker on low for around 8 hours (I do this overnight).
- It will be ready to serve immediately. Enjoy!
If you have leftovers to reheat (this makes a lot!), I add a little bit of water before microwaving.
Happy Easter, friends! Hope you have a wonderful time with your family and I pray you are all staying healthy (and sane) during this pandemic.