It’s Cinco de Mayo! Here’s a dinner idea that is so easy & quick to prepare. I call this a layered bake because I don’t roll the enchiladas to save time. It’s the perfect weeknight meal.
I promise this will never be a blog where you have to scroll forever to get to the recipe. So annoying, right!? But, a quick note on this recipe- it is garlic-free. Since I did food sensitivity testing and realized I was reacting to garlic, I have been avoiding it (and feeling SO much better!!). Try avoiding garlic in anything pre-made… it’s impossible! I found and now love the Fody brand sauces- their taco, enchilada, BBQ, teriyaki sauces & salsas are low-fodmap, which means they are free of onions and garlic.
- 1 lb organic, free-range chicken breasts or thighs (you could use a rotisserie chicken to make this faster)
- 12 organic corn tortillas (I love Food For Life brand for their simple, clean ingredients)
- Fody Green Enchilada Sauce
- Organic Pastures Raw Cheddar Cheese (I shred around 1/2 of this block) or Organic Valley Raw Cheddar (I shred the full block), which amount to about the same as a standard bag of shredded cheese.
- Salt & Pepper
- Avocado (optional, sliced for topping)
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then cook in an Instant Pot or slow cooker. Sometimes, I’ll put some salsa in with the chicken for extra flavor. Once it is cooked, shred the meat.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In an 11×13 glass pan, layer 6 corn tortillas along the bottom of the pan.
- Then, layer with half of shredded chicken, half of the bottle of enchilada sauce, then with half of the cheese.
- Repeat by layering tortillas, chicken, sauce and cheese again.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, or at least until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Top with sliced avocado and serve with a salad for a super green meal.