I am constantly trying new natural products to replace the toxic ones and create a safer environment in my home. Every once in awhile, I come across a product that really stands out – Thieves Fruit & Veggie Soak by Young Living is one of them.
I kept having friends try it and tell me how much longer it helped keep their produce fresh, but I didn’t really believe them. Finally, I decided to give it a try and was blown away by how well it actually worked. Produce that used to go bad in just a few days now lasts me all week, if not longer. I was especially surprised at how long it kept strawberries fresh (even when cut!), which for me are always the fastest to get moldy and soggy.
This wash is powerful because it uses the combination of 3 different essential oil blends:
The three of these oils help to clean the produce of dirt and bacteria from grocery handling as well as protect from mold.
It comes in a concentrate so you just add 1 oz to a gallon of water for your soak. My routine is to put all my produce in a clean sink when I get home from the store or farmer’s market and soak for a couple minutes. Then, I rinse and dry the fruits and veggies before putting them in my fridge or counter top ready to eat! I also put some in a spray bottle with water to use if I skip my routine and just need a quick wash for things like apples or potatoes.
What do you use currently to wash your produce? Is it working to keep things fresh?
The name of Purification essential oil makes its benefits pretty clear. This blend purifies, cleanses and disinfects in so many ways and can be used both around the house and for your health. It packs a powerful aroma that well represents the power of the individual essential oils inside the bottle:
- Citronella – anti-inflammatory and helps repel insects
- Lemongrass – purifying and antifungal properties
- Rosemary – may help fight candida and infections
- Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) – anti-inflammatory properties
- Lavandin – antiseptic properties
- Myrtle – may support immune function
I use this powerful blend all the time and it truly works wonders. Here’s how I use it:
- Diffuse for Air Purification – a couple drops of this in the diffuser (add some lemon too!) will help purify the air and any unwanted odors in your home. I use this after I cook curry or fish when the smell seems to linger.
- Laundry – Have a front-loader washer and hate the mustiness? Put a couple drops of Purification in the front rubber seal every month to neutralize mildew. Forget to move your clothes from the washer to the dryer for a little too long? Add a couple drops to a dryer sheet, dryer balls or to a wet cloth and add to the dryer to make your clothes fresh again.
- Odor Elimination – There are SO many ways to use this oil to eliminate unwanted odors. Put a drop on a cotton ball and put in your shoes (bonus: you can reuse the cotton ball for several shoes). A drop on a cotton ball in the bottom of your trash can or in your car air vent; or a drop to some baking soda in a cup in your refrigerator or down your sink disposal. Purification also works great if you’ve hung around the campfire and can’t get the smoke smell out of clothes, blankets, etc.
- Blemishes – Forget to wash your face last night and breaking out? Add a drop of Purification oil to some coconut oil and apply to your face to reduce inflammation and clear up the blemishes in just a few hours.
- Ear Aches – Whenever I get an ear ache and am worried about infection taking hold, I add a drop to a cotton ball and place in my ear to see relief overnight.
- Pet Spray – I add a couple drops Purification to a spray bottle with water and spray it on my pup before she goes outside to help repel fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. Plus it helps get rid of the outside-dog smell.
- Cuts & Bug Bites – When I cut myself with a rose thorn and my hand swelled, Purification was the only thing that worked to help bring down the inflammation and promote healing. I’ve found the same thing with mosquito bites and wasp stings. Mix with a drop of lavender and teaspoon of coconut oil and apply to bites and cuts.
If you already have this oil, I’m sure you can try one of these uses immediately. If you don’t have this oil, it’s a must-have! See this post for more information on essential oils, or contact me directly at healthyhopefulblog(at)gmail.com.