A few months ago, I received Thieves foaming hand soap complimentary in my essential oils order. I used it and absolutely loved it. But, I went to re-order and was astounded to find they cost $17 retail each. Ridiculous!
Refusing to spend that kind of money on hand soap and desperate for the soap that’s left my hands feeling cleaner than ever, I discovered a super easy DIY recipe. I love that with this recipe I can use whatever essential oils I want, to change scent with the season. The Thieves essential oil blend feels perfect for this time of year, especially with the added bonus of immune system support.
This only takes 1 minute to make and you probably already have all the ingredients in your cabinets. I don’t think I’ll ever buy hand soap again after figuring out this simple trick.
What You’ll Need:
- Fill an empty soap dispenser 2/3 full with water. You must add water before soap to keep from bubbling up.
- Add a teaspoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of castile soap.
- Add 4-5 drops of essential oil.
- Put the top on and shake slightly to mix all ingredients and it is ready.
Happy DIY-ing! Let me know what you think!
I am constantly trying new natural products to replace the toxic ones and create a safer environment in my home. Every once in awhile, I come across a product that really stands out – Thieves Fruit & Veggie Soak by Young Living is one of them.
I kept having friends try it and tell me how much longer it helped keep their produce fresh, but I didn’t really believe them. Finally, I decided to give it a try and was blown away by how well it actually worked. Produce that used to go bad in just a few days now lasts me all week, if not longer. I was especially surprised at how long it kept strawberries fresh (even when cut!), which for me are always the fastest to get moldy and soggy.
This wash is powerful because it uses the combination of 3 different essential oil blends:
The three of these oils help to clean the produce of dirt and bacteria from grocery handling as well as protect from mold.
It comes in a concentrate so you just add 1 oz to a gallon of water for your soak. My routine is to put all my produce in a clean sink when I get home from the store or farmer’s market and soak for a couple minutes. Then, I rinse and dry the fruits and veggies before putting them in my fridge or counter top ready to eat! I also put some in a spray bottle with water to use if I skip my routine and just need a quick wash for things like apples or potatoes.
What do you use currently to wash your produce? Is it working to keep things fresh?
One of the ways I use essential oils every day is through aromatherapy. I almost always have some essential oils in my diffuser at home and on my desk at work. Research has shown that the fragrance of essential oils can have a profound impact on the limbic system (our emotions), the hypothalamus (our hormones), and on the oxygenation & function of the brain. Today, I’m sharing some of my go-to essential oil blends to diffuse when I’m sick, stressed, or just want to clear the air:
Seasonal Allergy Blend:
- Lavender (4 drops) – Lavender is an incredible natural antihistamine and helps reduce inflammation in the sinuses.
- Peppermint (2 drops) – The minty freshness of peppermint opens up the airways, helping you breathe and easing congestion.
- Lemon (2 drops) – Lemon is another natural antihistamine that helps reduce inflammatory response and mucus.
- If you have a sinus headache, add 3 drops of Copaiba – it’s a super strong anti-inflammatory that helps with pain relief.
- *I used this same blend mixed with coconut oil to calm my skin and relieve itching when I had an allergic reaction that caused a rash.
- Purification (3 drops) – This stuff is magical – it disinfects the air and neutralizes bad odors, including those from mildew and smoke. It’s a blend of citronella, lemongrass, rosemary, tea tree, lavandin, and myrtle.
- Lemon (4 drops) – Lemon helps to cleanse and disinfect the air while adding an invigorating, clean aroma.
- This blend is also fantastic for getting rid of that mustiness in your washing machine or added to carpet spray used on pet accidents.
- RC (5 drops) – aka “Respiratory Congestion,” this incredible blend of oils provides significant relief from colds, sore throats and sinus issues. It contains many oils that help open up airways: Myrtle, (3 kinds of) Eucalyptus, Marjoram, Pine, Cypress, Spruce, and Peppermint
- Lemon (2 drops) – Lemon helps to reduce excess mucus and to open up lymph pathways for proper drainage.
- Thieves (4 drops ) – With powerful ingredients like clove, cinnamon, lemon, eucalyptus and rosemary, this oil has proven through research and history to boost the immune system and disinfect the air of germs.
- Lemon (2 drops) – Lemon helps to cleanse the body of toxins and opens up your lymphatic system.
- Tea Tree (2 drops) – Promotes cleansing and purity, helping fight infection.
- Lime (2 drop) – Stimulates a tired mind and renews your spirit.
- Lavender (2 drops) – Calming & relaxing.
- Stress Away (4 drops) – My favorite blend… it truly does help take the stress of the day away. It contains Copaiba (to help soothe), Lime, Cedarwood, Vanilla (because who doesn’t love that wonderful fragrance!?), Ocotea (creates peaceful environment) and Lavender.
Happy & Bright – My very favorite everyday combo!
- Joy (4 drops) – A delightful blend of beautiful oils that brings positive energy to the household. It promotes romance and harmony. It’s a mix of bergamot (relieves stress and tension), ylang ylang (to balance crazy hormones), geranium, lemon, coriander, tangerine (calming), jasmine (promotes feelings of love and support), roman chamomile, palmarosa, and rose (creates a romantic, magnetic energy).
- Lemon (4 drops) – Purifies and provides a bright, uplifting fragrance.
- Lavender (4 drops) – Lavender is calming to the body, both mentally and physically. A University of Miami study found that inhalation of lavender increase beta waves in the brain, leading to heightened relaxation; and an Osaka Kyoiku University study found that it reduced mental stress.
- Since lavender is one of the most commonly adulterated oils (chemical fragrances are added), you have to be careful where you buy it. I once bought a bottle from the grocery store when I ran out and, while it (mostly) smelled the same, it had zero effect on inducing relaxation like my Young Living bottle did!
- Stress Away (3 drops) – The perfect blend to help you wind down for the day. It contains Copaiba, Lime, Cedarwood (to release melatonin), Vanilla, Ocotea and Lavender.
- Variation: If you have them, add a couple drops of each of the following to the Lavender instead of Stress Away: Cedarwood – stimulates the pineal gland to release melatonin, and Ylang Ylang – Restores peace and balances hormones (can help reduce cortisol spikes that inhibit sleepiness).
Oh Happy Day!
- Peace & Calming (4-5 drops) – I think the name says it all… this blend truly does bring emotional peace. It’s a blend of tangerine (combats nervousness), orange (sedating and calming), ylang ylang, patchouli (clarifies thoughts and promotes grounding), and blue tansy.
- Frankincense (2 drops) – Increases spiritual awareness and improves attitude. This oil was used throughout the Bible to enhance connection to God through worship and prayer.
What are your favorite blends to add to the diffuser? Let me know how you like these!
Source: Essential Oils Pocket Reference
For more information on essential oils and why I chose the Young Living brand, visit this page.
P.S. It’s important to be careful how you diffuse essential oils into the air because when you heat them, it destroys the healing compounds. I use a cool air diffuser that uses ultrasonic technology to mix the oil with water and disperse into the air. This atomizer activates the healing effects of the oils and allows the aromas to stay in the air for longer. Plus, it’s also a humidifier so is great to put by your bed when you’re sick. When you order a starter kit from Young Living, it comes with an amazing diffuser – read here for how to get started.
You’ve probably seen it all over social media… people are obsessed with essential oils. Personally, I was really skeptical of the whole essential oil thing for awhile, but let me tell you: I tried them and I am now a believer! They really are amazing and have helped me achieve better health naturally and safely.
If you’ve been wanting to try essential oils and just aren’t sure where to get started, I thought I would help provide a quick guide for you. It can be a bit overwhelming sorting through all the information – what company to choose, what oils to start with, how to use the oils, and the list goes on. I’ve done tons of research and I’m here to help!
What Kind to Buy? Does Brand Matter?
I’ve learned from experience that brand really does matter when it comes to the effectiveness of oils. I’ve tried several brands and now only buy from a couple of companies I know sell pure, high-quality oils that actually work. Many cheaper store brands use chemicals (in growing, distillation or bottling) or add filler oils and fragrances to the bottle. Even if they claim to be “pure,” unfortunately, they often aren’t. Young Living became my favorite company because they own their entire process from Seed to Seal – they grow the plants on their own farms (pesticide-free), distill and bottle the oils themselves. I trust their oils to be safe and therapeutically effective based both on my research and personal experience.
What Oils to Try?
With hundreds of essential oils and blends to choose from, trying to figure out what to try first is probably the hardest part. Here are 3 options for getting started:
- Free Sample – for my local friends, I’d be happy to share a few drops of one of my favorites as a sample if you’d like to try something before you take the step to purchase.
- Try One or Two – Young Living has a website where you can purchase oils without any commitment. When you create an account, make sure to put this in the Referral ID field: 2343919.
- Which Oil(s) to Choose: I am happy to make personal recommendations based on what you’re looking to use it for – maybe you’re looking for something to help with allergies, with headaches, for energy, for non-toxic house cleaning, stress-relief, skincare… the list goes on – you tell me what you’re looking to tackle naturally! You can comment on this post, use the contact form here.
- Start with a Bundle (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!) – Young Living offers several discounted Starter Bundles- many options come with 12 of the most popular and a diffuser. You can create an account and get 24% off retail pricing if you order one of these for over 100 PV (or sign up for a subscription to get that discount). When you create an account, make sure to put this in the Referral ID field: 2343919.
- No minimum order or pressure to purchase – You don’t have to purchase anything after your bundle if you don’t want to (though I bet you will!). There is no fee to keep your wholesale pricing active; you only need to spend $50PV on products each year to keep it.
- Compensation as an Independent Distributor – There is no obligation to sell oils, but if you’re looking for some extra income, there are ways to receive compensation for sharing oils with your friends.
- Optional Subscription / Loyalty Rewards Program – Each order earns you points towards free products and you also get reduced shipping rates.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. I am not a doctor and any tips I share are not meant to diagnose or cure disease; I am just sharing ways that these oils have helped me personally.